NBN rollout in The Boulevarde, Toronto to affect Council streetscape works.
nbn co. has advised Council that excavation works are required to the southern and northern sides of The Boulevarde in Toronto to install nbn infrastructure, significantly affecting the more than $4 million streetscape works Council completed in July last year.
Council’s Built and Natural Assets Director David Hughes said that Council is disappointed with the previous lack of communication from nbn and its contractors during the street works.
We attempted to consult with nbn during the design phase and prior to construction of The Boulevarde project about the requirements to prevent this situation from occurring, but received no correspondence from them during this time,” Mr Hughes said.
Council has invested significantly in beautification works for The Boulevarde, and this excavation will not only affect the completed works, but will disturb local business owners and the Toronto community, who have enjoyed the improved amenities and landscaping.”
As part of the project works to upgrade The Boulevarde, Council laid conduit between the Telstra service pits along the Boulevarde to attempt to accommodate the future needs of nbn communication infrastructure. Despite the lack of communication from nbn, Council’s installation of the conduit has reduced the excavation required by around 230 lineal metres.
Council understands that nbn contractor, Visionstream, will begin excavation works on the northern side of The Boulevarde from this Sunday 26 May, before moving to the southern side of the road.
We will be providing nbn with a quote to complete remediation works for the southern side of The Boulevard, but it will be up to nbn to accept our advice and support,” said Mr Hughes.
Council will continue to work with Visionstream on the rollout of the nbn with a focus on ensuring that the current high-quality finish of The Boulevarde streetscape is maintained.