Latec House ~ Hunter Street West

Latec House aka 741 Hunter. 3 February 2004 Latec House in Hunter Street looking west from Union Street With this quote from Wikipedia’s article on Pinnacle Apartments is a reminder these images (and all images on this site – except otherwise noted) are copyright NewcastleOnHunter.com, but shared under Creative Commons

Read more...

Bull Street, HDWB Workshop

Former HDWB workshop from Bull St Newcastle Bull Street, Newcastle. 10 July 2005. At left, NSW Department of Education. Right, former Hunter District Water Board workshop. Stupid parked his car in view just to ruin the ambiance. Click on image below. Interactive panorama opens in new window. Use mouse or

Read more...

Doc’s Pharmacy

Doc’s was a high-profile shop, and not only because it moved at least three times along Hunter Street. Just being in Hunter Street means high-profile. October 2006 when Doc’s mural held pride of place at the Bank Corner shop. First port of call, as Throsby records it, was 531 Hunter

Read more...

Beresford Lane

Streets, however humble or short – even the laneways – have stories to tell. Beresford Lane, in Newcastle’s west end, is an afterthought, barely a footnote, in the City’s past. Now just an alley lined with roller doors and wheelie bins, a century ago it was an active residential and

Read more...

Bellevue Hotel

Bellevue Hotel A traditional pub whose end of life was an all-night drinking hole. Now appropriately gentrified, it’s shell houses an art gallery and fronts residential high-rise. This collections shows it’s terminal phase and transition from 2004 to 2007. Bellevue Hotel at the Newcastle Bank Corner, Hunter Street West, 2

Read more...

Stegga’s City Emporium

Stegga’s City Emporium survives today (2019) at 517 to 529 Hunter Street, Newcastle. I visited Antiques on Hunter at this address to shop, some time in 2001, and a few years later they moved to King Street, where they were still doing business in 2018. Did they ever change the

Read more...

Rogers Diamond Emporium

Hunter Street: No 501 was a derelict shop with upstairs tenants feeling the strain. Spero Davias lists the site’s history as starting next to a laneway in 1909  as A. E. Smith, House Furnishings. After a string of businesses it became in 1950 one of the city’s eminent jewellers, Rogers,

Read more...

King Street

Once a lesser east-west partner of Hunter Street, King Street gained functionality as a city throughway in 1973 when it aligned with Parry Street – and notoriety for comprehensively destroying Birdwood Park. It has long coveted Civic Park, too, but that space made friends in high council places and became

Read more...